Pages

1/20/2011

Real Stories: A Life with Tourettes

Yes, I have Tourette's too.

After putting up the org (PTSA) and appearing on numerous TV shows that featured TS, most people might say that I have successfully conquered TS.

Guess what... I still haven't.

Sometimes I still get hurt when I get stared at. At times, I still feel insecure; my past still haunts me. And my tics have even started to get in the way with my keyboard playing.

I may not have conquered it, alright. Perhaps, I never will. But what's important is that I've conquered two things that are ever harder to conquer- the fear of living life, and the fear of loving others completely.

Life can be as hurtful as much as it is beautiful. Insecurities ought not to put us down, but to merely put our feet on the ground. TS has taught me and my loved ones how to be more understanding and patient. I will therefore live my life and continue coping AT ALL COST.

Guess what? I don't even think it's wrong to think that I have not conquered TS, and that TS has conquered me instead. It's not that I have given up or given in to it. It's just that something.... Someone greater has conquered me entirely, anyway...

...Lord, I surrender everything to you. Just keep on holding my hand, please... kahit malikot s'ya :)

And babe... thank you for loving me as I am.
By: Marlon Barnuevo (PTSA's co- founder, industrial designer, musician, diagnosed with Tourette Syndrome)

1 comments:

louriepeck said...

Touched by your story. Keep on keeping on, Marlon. You are a good role model for kids with TS out there.
-Lourma, mother of Chrystian
http://twitter.com/#!/TicTacTating

PHILIPPINE TOURETTE SYNDROME ASSOCIATION's Fan Box

WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING